Moving forward through film

Preliminary vision and ad-hoc business plan for IMUA film - a place for filmmakers to move forward!

From a letter to a former colleague... 10th janvier 2009


"...It sounds like a mish-mash, but really I see it as a place [centered around a physical space that has presented itself to us] for producers to work on different projects and potentially network, etc. and, in turn, develop more projects, with many helping to grow the production company itself--imua film; imua means 'forward' as in to move forward, onward and upward, etc. in Hawaiian. I also like the play on I AM YOU.

"I'm looking for an investor for a boutique production company that: a) has consistent industrial/gov't/non-profit, etc. contract work to keep the doors open b) provides a service for indie producers to create pitch reels and pilots at affordable rates--working with the producers guild at first then reaching out to the DGA--I think I can find grants this, esp for women filmmakers in transition--this would be a fairly innovative push, not done by anyone I know of, and a very specialized niche--Ridley Scott sponsored a contest on massify.com if you have time to check it out...I'd like people like that to sponsor opportunities that help creative types get their next project going, not just a struggle to put out a freebie and then be in debt for years for a show nobody sees; c) run 2-3 cable reality shows, coz that's what I know how to do--as bread and butter, back of the house, to cover the operation of multiple edit bays; d) a VO booth for low-budget shows with 4-hour blocks [affordable rates than gauging them for a full day] but also use the service as way to develop talent; e) and a high-end graphics bay--where we provide main title graphics and other elements for shows.

" Basically, I want to stop being at the mercy of prod co's and studios that don't get that the creative people fuel their little systems--if I didn't make the tv shows, they'd have nothing to promote, advertise and pay for their salaries and vacation pay! So I want to do that for myself even if on a humble scale."

Comments